The Historical Society museum and offices are housed in a Victorian vernacular style building in downtown Floyd, Virginia, that Dr. Martin Luther Dalton had built in 1913.
Dalton is believed to have hired Lather Hylton, a well-known local builder, to construct his new office and hospital, which he named “The Ridgemont.” On the first floor was the surgery, pharmacy, examining room with an x-ray machine, and waiting room. Three rooms on the second floor housed over-night patients. Dalton ran the hospital from its opening
on March 26, 1914 until 1923. Subsequently, Dr. Silas T. Yeatts operated the hospital.
In 1950 the building became the home of Marie Williams, a long-time dedicated teacher in Floyd County schools and the first President of the Floyd County Historical Society. After her death, the Floyd County Historical Preservation Trust acquired the building and began rehabilitation work so it could become an historical museum.
The museum opened on May 29, 2010 and continues to welcome visitors each May thru December of the year.