Floyd Historical Walking Tour

(click above for printable tour guide)

The Floyd Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register, includes most of the town center as established in 1831, when traffic consisted mainly of horse and wagon. Routes 221 and 8 connect most of the county’s smaller rural roads and intersect at the crossroads of Main and Locust Streets in the center of Floyd. Our map covers 1.8 walking-miles and features 45 historic places. The town’s buildings, constructed without access to major roads, railroads, or factories, display the character of the community: creative use of local materials, endless ingenuity, skilled craft, hard work, and pride.


TRACING OUR ROOTS: A Tour of Laurel Branch Road

(click above for printable tour guide)

These few miles of road pass through centuries of history. Christopher Slusher, Sr., was among Revolutionary War veterans receiving patents for land in the early 1800s. The Hylton and Weddle families settled here even earlier. As they cleared new ground and built barns and mills to support their families, they also worked together to strengthen the religious and social ties that created the Topeco and Laurel Branch communities. These ties were tested during the Civil War with men away fighting or deserting a cause not theirs; families left struggling to keep their farms going while facing shortages, raids, epidemics, and even General Stoneman’s Union army marching past their homes and camping in their meadows in April 1865.